Commonly Asked Questions
What are Jade mats made of?
Jade mats are made with natural rubber and contain no PVC or other synthetic rubbers. Natural rubber is tapped, like maple syrup, from a rubber tree, a sustainable, renewable resource. Our rubber primarily comes from farms in Malaysia. These farms are similar to American farms, in that the trees are cultivated – not wild. Many of these farms have been in existence for decades and even generations.
We use natural rubber because it grips better and has more cushion than any of the synthetic rubbers on the market (PVC, PER, TPE, EVA). It is also better for the earth as it is made sustainably. In addition to natural rubber, our mats contain both natural and man-made components. The precise components of our mats are proprietary (the last thing we want is someone knocking off our mats overseas); Jade mats contain no PVCs, heavy metals or ozone depleting substances. All components are approved by FDA for use in rubber in continuous content with food.
Which mat is right for me?
Always on the go? Meet VOYAGER & TRAVEL, your practice just got a little lighter!
VOYAGER: Our thinnest and most portable mat yet, the VOYAGER is ideal for yogis on the go that have to travel light! Easily folds up to fit into your tote bag, carry on, or backpack, allowing you to take your practice with you everywhere and anywhere.
SPECS: 1/16” thick, 24” wide, is 68” in length, and weighs about 1.5lbs
Available in: Purple, Midnight Blue, Olive Green, and Lavender
*please note the Voyager is not suited to a vigorous daily practice, it does compromise durability
TRAVEL: The perfect marriage between our best-selling Harmony mat and our most transportable mat Voyager, we introduce you to our Travel Mat! Perfect for yogis on the go- supportive enough for daily use, but light enough to go with you!
SPECS: 1/8” thick, 24” wide, is offered in 68” or 74” lengths, and weighs just under 3lbs
Available in: Purple & Midnight Blue (in 68”&74”), Olive Green, Black, & Teal (in 68”)
Don’t know what you need and looking for our go-to suggestion? Meet HARMONY!
HARMONY: Our most popular mat, the HARMONY is our everyday, go-to mat. Great for yoga, Pilates, or mat work in general! If you’re undecided, have dual purposes for your mat, or are looking for a multi-purpose mat, Harmony is for you.
SPECS: 3/16” thick, 24” wide, is offered in lengths of 68”, 71”, & 74”, and weighs about 5lbs
All colors are not available in all lengths, see www.jadeyoga.com for additional details
HARMONY XW: Wanting a little extra wiggle and stretch room? Try our HARMONY XW! All the great benefits of our Harmony mat with an extra 4” of space to broaden your practice- hello liberation!
SPECS: 3/16” thick, 28” wide and 80” long, and weighs in around 7lbs
Available in: Midnight Blue & Olive Green
Pilates your main focus? Joint pain an issue? An XL yogi searching for the support that’s right for you? Or perhaps you’re just looking for a little extra cushiony love and support?
Allow me to introduce you to your new best friend, FUSION!
FUSION: Our thickest, most cushiony mat, great for when you want or need that extra comfort! And if Pilates is your main focus, FUSION is your guy- being our densest mat on the market.
SPECS: 5/16” thick, 24” wide, comes in 68” & 74” lengths, and weighs about 8.5lbs
Available in: Purple, Midnight Blue (68”&71”), Olive Green and Teal (68”)
FUSION XW: Wanting all of the cushiony glory of the Fusion mat along with a little extra room to stretch out? Look no further, FUSION XW is here for you, featuring everything you love about our Fusion mat alongside an extra 4” of space, so go ahead- sprawl out and enjoy!
SPECS: 5/16” thick, 28” wide, comes in 71” & 80” lengths, and weighs in around 10.5lbs
Available in: Two-tone Purple/Midnight
Please note that while the Fusion and Fusion XW are our most cushiony mat, they are also our heaviest, making them weighty choices as a commuter mat.
Have little yogis at home or wanting to introduce the kids to yoga for the first time? Introducing DISCOVERY and PATHFINDER!
DISCOVERY: Designed specifically with tiny hands and hearts in mind, DISCOVERY is specially made for children 5 & under.
SPECS: 1/8” thick, 19” wide, is 44” in length, and weighs just under 2lbs
Available in Lavender and Slate Blue
PATHFINDER: Specially crafted for growing yogis, ages 6 to 11 years old.
SPECS: 1/8” thick, 24” wide, is 58” long, and weighs around 3lbs
Available in Lavender and Slate Blue
Is there latex in Jade mats?
Although Jade mats are made from a rubber tree, they are 99% latex free. Nevertheless, there may be trace amounts of latex proteins in the mats, so we recommend that people with latex allergies avoid contact.
Where are Jade mats made?
Jade mats are made in the United States in compliance with all US environmental, labor and consumer safety laws.
What makes Jade mats eco-friendly?
Jade mats are eco-friendly as they are made with a renewable, sustainable resource – natural rubber, tapped from rubber trees. Jade mats contain no PVC or other synthetic rubbers. Perhaps most importantly, Jade mats are made in the United States in compliance with all US environmental and labor laws. Finally, through its partnership with Trees for the Future, JadeYoga plants a tree for every mat sold.
When will that rubber smell go away?
The natural rubber smell will dissipate over time. The best way to accelerate this process is to air the mat out in a well ventilated area – maybe even in front of a fan – but not in direct sunlight. Because natural rubber has natural variations in smell, and everyone has different sensitivities, the amount of time it takes for the smell to dissipate varies. For most people a week or two is enough, but for some people it may take a couple months (but just like with a car tire or bike tire or anything made of rubber, even then there will be some residual smell.)
How do I wash my mat?
For daily cleaning, deodorizing, and disinfecting:
- Spray mat with our botanical disinfectant spray (Benefect®).
- Air dry or wipe with a micro-fiber cloth, which does not give off lint.
Alternative: Create your own, all-natural yoga mat cleaning recipe
- 1 cup of water (distilled)
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar or Witch-hazel (without alcohol)
- 3 drops tea tree oil
- 2 drops eucalyptus oil (or lavender/ thyme/ clove/ lemon grass)
Spray on the mat, then wipe with micro-fiber cloth and water.
More thorough cleaning:
Body oils tend to build up in the pores of the mat, which can cause it to lose its grip. Surface cleaning will help, however for a more thorough cleaning try the following:
- Place your mat in a large front loading washing machine
- Set on a gentle cycle with hot water (no detergent)
- Place your mat in a large front loading washing machine
- Cold water, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 teaspoon organic laundry detergent
- Place your mat in a bath tub filled with warm water
- Add a tablespoon of neutral PH soap (e.g. hair shampoo, Nature Clean, etc.)
- Rub down and rinse well
Drying your mat:
- Lay a big absorbent towel flat on the floor with the mat on top; roll them up together and press hard with hands and/or knees. This will transfer 90% of the water from the mat to the towel.
- Hang up indoors, and it will be dry in about 24 hours.
- Do not expose the mat to the sun, outside or by a window. The UV rays will break down the rubber, ultimately resulting in a surface that feels slippery and dry. UV damage is cumulative.
- When you are not using your mat, it is recommended that you keep it rolled up in a bag.
- Protect your mat from extreme temperatures, such as keeping it in your car throughout the seasons.
What can I do with my old mat?
- Look for reuses www.freecycle.org or email email@example.com
- Use as a seat liner for the back seat in the car while taking your dog to the vet or groomer.
- Place under an area rug for no-slip gripping.
- Drop off your old mat at an animal rescue group. Most of these places need soft, durable mats, rugs, towels, & blankets to line crates.
- Use an old mat in the garage or shop to keep from slipping on the workbench while using power tools on them.
- Line kitchen shelves to prevent glasses from slipping and scratching.
- Cut the mat into squares and use them as “bases” while playing baseball with the kids. Easy to carry and easy to clean!
- Use to kneel on in the garden to protect your knees!
- Use as kitchen drawer liners.
- Cut it up to make a mouse pad.
- Use it on the beach instead of a towel.
- Use as grip pads to open jars.
- Cut to size and use as foot pads for the bottom of furniture that is on a wood or ceramic floor. Glue on pieces with a non-toxic adhesive.
- Place it under your sleeping bag as a sleeping pad while camping.
- Make covers for sharp corners like in a parking garage or school.
- No more messy packing peanuts! Old yoga mats get a new life as a protector of valuables while moving or shipping.
- Make children’s toys: cut holes and create masks, hats, costumes and props; cut into shapes and letters for tub and pool toys.
- Cut and put down in front of the kitty litter box to stop the litter.
- Plug up drafty places, windows, doors, & under window air conditioners, and save energy!
- Great for those hard bleachers when watching sporting events.
- Makes a great liner under house plants, you can even cut it to fit each plant!
- Donate to nursing homes so that residents do not slip while getting in and out of bed.
- Place between your surfboard & car to protect both from abrasion.
- Lay it over the dashboard and steering wheel to keep the sun out!
- Keep in the car for those spur of the moment picnics, keeping groceries from sliding around in the trunk, or for a myriad of other uses limited only to your imagination!
What do you mean by ‘Buy a mat, we plant a tree’?
While it has always been our goal to make the best performing yoga mat on the market and we are very proud that Harmony is made with natural rubber, a renewable resource, contains no PVC or ozone depleting substances and is made in the United States in compliance with US environmental laws — we felt we could and should do even more. We looked for a partner to help us give back to the earth and found Trees for the Future to be the right choice. What we like about Trees for the Future is that they work with local communities on projects that are environmentally and economically sustainable. They are not about going in and dictating what they are going to do, doing it and walking away. They engage the local community which leads to a project that can continue long after Trees for the Future has left. Trees for the Future works to develop and implement programs to improve living standards for the participants, by the careful management, rather than the exploitation, of our natural resources. Through this partnership with Trees for the Future, we plant a tree for every yoga mat we sell.